Saturday, May 28, 2011

Mudgie's and Exploring

Yesterday and today I was able to do a bit of some great exploring in Detroit. Part of the exploration came on a company tour of Detroit and some surrounding neighborhoods. The other part came from me walking around downtown. Mostly I just wanted to include a few good photos which I have here and some captions.





(Above- St. Antoine's in Greektown- Greek Orthodox Church)



(At Left- Burwood Wall, the only physical wall in the United States to segregate populations based on race. Below- Presbyterian Church, Woodward Avenue)


(Above- Penabscot Building from Campus Martius Park)





(At Right- Mural in Mexicantown. Below-Harmonie Building in Harmonie Park.)



















I also wanted to talk a bit about Mudgie's, an excellent sandwich shop in Corktown, Detroit oldest neighborhood. Corktown is most famous recently for being the old home of Tiger Stadium. It sits just west of downtown along Michigan Avenue and heading down to the river. Other highlights include the old Michigan Central Train Station and Slow's Bar-be-que.


I instead went to Mudgie's, located on Porter Street, two blocks south of Michigan Avenue. The place is small and looks like any other brick two story building covered in vines. The Holy Trinity Church is nearby and the area is full of some of the best homes in the neighborhood.


Mudgie's is a hipster's paradise (and it was full of hipsters when I went there at 5 p.m. on a Saturday.) The place was stifling hot and full of several nice tables and a counter to walk up and order a sandwich. I went with a Lockwood, full of turkey, ham, salami, and some cheeses on a kaiser bun. The sandwich came complete with au jus sauce which absolutely made the sandwich. I thought my sandwich was a little pricey and I decided not to eat in or at the tables around the shop. I think the atmosphere would have helped the enjoyment of the sandwich, but it was still quite good. I also think I could have done a bit better on my sandwich selection. In fact, next time, I may go with the Mudgie, as more often than not the signiature sandwich is pefected.


In all, I'm happy I made the trip there. Corktown is full of little secrets and is one of the nicest neighborhoods directly next to Detroit's downtown. It has great access to downtown activities, the riverfront, and parks. Mudgie's is an excellent shop with a great location. If you're ever in need of a sandwich with local Michigan made products, Mudgie's looks like the place to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment