Monday, December 15, 2014

Pittsburgh Training- Full Steam Ahead

A few weeks ago I let you know that I had started my marathon training for Pittsburgh! This week marks the official beginning of increasing my mileage and getting ready to run fast.

The last few weeks I've done less mileage and worked to do Fartleks. It was quite fun running faster and for shorter distances than I've been used to. My hips appreciate it and my lungs did too. I was pretty worried when we hit those negative temperatures in November, but things have rebounded nicely. I don't mind cold-weather running, but it still hurts the lungs when things get so cold so quickly.

This week things start to ramp up. I usually always have a day of rest and the other days of running. Most weeks I have a few days of short mileage, usually 3 or 4 miles, and a few days of medium mileage, like 5 or 6 miles. Then one day of long mileage, this week, 10 miles, which slowly increase throughout the schedule before tapering off as the race approaches. By that time, your legs and lungs should be strong enough to get you through.

Basically, I'm telling you all that marathons are not trained for by running 26 miles every day or even several times over several weeks. Marathons are things that take time to prepare for like everything else, and the result that you have on your race is a result of the work you put in. I want to share this process with you because you've supported me with your funds and because this is where the race is really run. The event itself is just weeks and weeks of effort culminating in a jog through the park.

Thank you again for your support. Even if you haven't donated, you have supported me in one way or another. I'm actually very close to my goal of $500, but things have been pretty quiet lately. I'll ask once again for your help in sending out this link for donations. If you know anyone who would like to support Autism awareness or runners, please let them know I need a few dollars. You are all wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment