Sunday, September 1, 2013

Being Spontaneous


I like to plan things in advance. One of my roles in my recently vacated job was to plan an event calendar one year in advance. I usually have my weekends scheduled months in advance and I once scheduled my July vacation in January.

Last Friday I was sent a frantic message from Janel, "RESPOND ASAP! I HAVE BIG NEWS!" What on earth could this mean? I sent a quick chat on Google and discovered the amazing news. Mumford and Sons, one of our favorite bands and one of the bands that we have had special moments with was playing at a concert stop in Troy, OH. I wasn't exactly sure where Troy was, but I knew Ohio was close and Mumford and Sons rarely plays in the USA.


Tickets weren't outrageous and the cost of the tickets covered two days of festival and a chance to see Mumford and Sons in concert. Other bands included Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros and Old Crow Medicine Show. We snapped up our tickets and worked out the details later.

This is by far one of the best decisions I've ever made. It was a blast and Mumford and Sons is amazing in concert. The tour was called the Gentleman of the Road tour and Troy, OH was a 'stopover.' Here are some highlights:


Troy has about 25,000 people in the city. They were really excited for us to visit. 
The entrance to the stadium at night. 
The city decorated their buildings. This is an old theater where we saw a movie about the Gentlemen of the Road.



We were both really excited.
We found someone to take our picture. 
Mumford doing his thing.
Mumford and Sons during their encore.

If you ever have the chance to see Mumford and Sons, I highly recommend it. In addition to playing for nearly 2 hours, they played much of their two albums, performed an encore of a Bruce Springsteen song, 'Come Together' with two other British bands, and did a great acapella version of one of their non-album songs. This is probably the best thing I've ever seen in Ohio. And Ohio only had to bring something from across the ocean to do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment