Saturday, May 3, 2014

Detroit Marathon

Detroit Marathon
Date: October 16, 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Finish Time: 3:43:29
Pace: 8:31 min/mi


It could be that Detroit is the largest race in terms of participants that I've ever run, or maybe it's my own affinity for Detroit, but whatever it is, Detroit is my favorite marathon I've run. It was the second full marathon that I completed and I've only done one more since then, but it remains one of the best in my memory. I ran a good race on a somewhat chilly day and I fondly remember coming through certain turns, something I can't say of every race. 


I ran the half-marathon in 2010 in Detroit. Living in Dearborn, there were many people who were familiar with Detroit and the race that the Free Press puts on. Its a big race and it always sells out. In fact, last year they opened a half-marathon that only runs in the US to accommodate additional runners. That sold out too. It isn't quite the size of Chicago or New York, but for all the junk about Detroit losing people and it being a terrible place, there sure are a lot of people that come out to watch. 

The race is in October, which means it can be a real crap-shoot with the weather. From a runner's perspective, I've enjoyed it immensely. Both times I've run it starts cool in the morning and becomes overcast by the end of the race. It isn't too hot, but it isn't too cold. As a spectator, I might feel differently. 

Detroit is also pretty unique because you get to run to Canada. On the way there you cross the Ambassador Bridge and on the way back you come through the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel. The race starts at 7 AM so its usually dark until you get to the other side of the Ambassador Bridge. If I were really fast you might not see the sunshine. Where is the fun in that? 

Crossing the Ambassador Bridge is one of the most frustrating and unique experiences I've had in a race. I think it also has led to some of the fastest times I've had on a race course. Since the bridge is so close to the beginning of the race, most runners are still pretty bunched up together. The bridge is still open to traffic, and to prevent any close calls, only one lane is open to runners. This may seem like a lot, but when you have tens of thousands of people crossing at once, it gets pretty jammed up. In some places I felt like I was running in place. And its hard to say, 'excuse me' because there aren't many places to go and, oh yeah, you're running. But, I think because it takes so long to catch a stride, I have tons of energy for the rest of the race. It was true in the half and it was true in the full. 

A note about Canadians: they are excellent cheerleaders. I don't know anyone there, but dang those people cheer you on. Maybe its because they only have about a mile to cheer everyone, but the streets leading from the bridge through Windsor to the Tunnel are PACKED with Canadians (I presume) cheering and ringing cowbells and playing music. It is is a BLAST! And just before the tunnel, things start spreading out, so this Canadian DJ starts yelling out your name as you go past. Its a lot of fun. Also, border patrol is pretty nice when you're on foot. They smile and tell you good job all while checking for your bib. I imagine it is a pretty good time to immigrate if you'd like. 

A note about the Tunnel. Some people love it. I don't. Its hot, no matter what the weather, filled with stale air, and a long time of nothing but the quiet patter of shoes on pavement and the breath of runners panting at mile 7 of a 13 or 26 mile race. However, when you emerge from the Tunnel, pure bliss awaits you! No matter if its freezing or raining or freezing rain or what, you come out of the Tunnel to a road packed to the brim with people cheering and excited. Its where I saw my mom and dad on the Half Marathon and it is so exciting to have so many people pushing you on. 

The same feeling occurs at Campus Martius, where tons of people help separate the Half-Marathoners who turn for the finish line and the Marathoners, who are only halfway through. I find the second half of the race to be quieter, but still fun. The east side has so many beautiful homes in Indian Village and the run on Belle Isle is quite quaint. I remember being offered a beer in Indian Village. Normally I'm all for it, but at mile 16 I'm not really into it. 

The last leg of the race is on the Riverwalk before coming into the finish line on Lafayette. I knew I'd need support there and my Mom, Dad, Aunt, and Uncle were all there to cheer me on. My Uncle even ran a little bit with me as he cheered me on. At mile 25, this kind of stuff is huge. It propelled me through to the end. 

I finished over 15 minutes faster than my first marathon and well under my goal of 4 hours. Every year I see the date approach and think that I should do it again. Detroit is certainly one of my favorite races. The emotions and the images from the city are forever etched on my mind and unlike my other marathons, there aren't stretches where I just don't remember things. Detroit was a good pace and an enjoyable race filled with friendly people and exciting views. If you ever need an introduction to Detroit, start with the marathon. Its amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment