Saturday, May 3, 2014

Kalamazoo Half-Marathon

Kalamazoo Half-Marathon
Date: May 6, 2012
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Finish Time: 1:49:01
Pace: 8:19 min/mi

Kalamazoo has a special place in my mind because of all the times that I spent here as an undergrad at Western Michigan University. I really love the city and the places and try not to get lost in memories every time I go. Somehow I always make new ones. When I ran the Kalamazoo Half-Marathon I was full fledged into running races and determined not to let my speed atrophy as I hunted for states I could go to. I was also beginning to gain a following in my runs and a contingency came with me to Kalamazoo in May 2012.


May in Kalamazoo is quite beautiful and this day was no different. It was sunny and warm and a really good day to go for a run. I had convinced my friend Matt to run the race with me and his friend Nate came with us as well. My mom decided she would run the 5K and my Aunt Pam and Uncle Ed did the 5K walk. It was a day filled with lots of fun events. 

The race starts at Borgess Hopsital on Gull Road, which as they are sponsors, makes sense. Had I run the full marathon I would have gone through campus, but remembering the hills on campus and not wanting to commit to a full marathon, I opted for the half, which mercifully turns around in downtown Kalamazoo. It was particularly enjoyable because it ran right past Matt's apartment where his fiance and my friend Heidi was waiting to cheer us on. 

When I came across the finish line a few hours later I felt that I had run a good race. It was fun and challenging. If you don't know, Kalamazoo is filled with hills. Near the end there is a hill alongside a small park that I angrily marched up, passing many people, and earning someone saying 'Oh my gosh, you are so fast!' I wilted later when my legs burned, but it felt good to conquer hills. 

Had it not been for the hills, I probably would have had a PR. As it was, I was close to my Detroit time on a hillier course and a hotter day. I felt good. Not at all bad about my time. And I was happy that so many family members could come and hang out.


When the race finished, we decided it would be nice to do some breakfast so we met Heidi at Cosmo's, a delicious neighborhood place near where my sister used to live. I ate my fill and had some fun conversation with friends and family. A perfect ending to a great day. 

My experience with Kalamazoo was a fun one. I liked the race because it wasn't as large as Detroit, but there were still a lot of people involved. Kalamazoo has sought to register someone from every state in the country. In 2012, they had gotten as many as 48 states, but still were looking for the elusive 50. I don't know if they have accomplished that yet or not. However, if you're looking for a fun race, I suggest Kalamazoo. The race is growing and is in one of the best little cities in Michigan. And when you finish, there are plenty of beer places to choose from! 

No comments:

Post a Comment