Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Fat Tuesdays: Because One Isn't Enough- Grilled Cheese

I know what you're thinking. Grilled cheese? David, Mom taught me how to make grilled cheese when I was 7 because she was tired of making the second easiest kid approved meal in the world (the first being Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.)

But, wait. This grilled cheese was amazing. And for adults. Or something like that.

Oh. My. God. This is so good. 

I'm so serious. I can't believe I made it, that's how good it was. So what did I do differently? I added a few ingredients. First off, pesto. While one side is coated in butter for golden crispiness, the other side is slathered in pesto for a nice tasty base. Then, add your cheese. I chose cheddar and colby jack. You really can choose any cheese you like, but yellow cheeses seem to be staples. Also, I didn't use any Kraft singles. Those things aren't really cheese and are not allowed on grilled cheese sandwiches. 

Next, add tomato. I did a slice and a half on each sandwich. It depends on your liking, but I enjoyed it. And finally, the real secret ingredient and the one that made this sandwich sooo good, goat's cheese. I went to the store looking for feta and found that goat's cheese was on sale for cheaper than feta. 

Word to the wise, a little goat's cheese goes a long way. There is not even a full 'slice' on each sandwich, just a small smattering of goat's cheese that when mixed with pesto and other delicious flavors, makes this a grilled cheese worth having again. 

Recap:
Italian Bread- Really any kind works here, but something that you have to slice yourself tastes better
Cheddar Cheese- A slice or two for each sandwich
Colby Jack Cheese- A slice or two for each sandwich
Pesto- To slather on each piece
Butter- To grill the exterior of the sandwich
Tomato- A slice on each sandwich would suffice
Goat's Cheese- Just a dab will do ya

I use a frying pan on medium heat and let the bread grill until it is toasty brown. Then I put it on my plate and devour it. 

I also have a new Oregano plant named Octavius.  

Octavius really likes the camera.


2 comments:

  1. Have you ever had The Skippy at Crows Nest? This reminds me a lot of it.

    Sounds tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, no, I haven't had The Skippy. I think next time in Kzoo though, The Skippy will be on the list.

      And this was delicious.

      Delete